Sunday, October 19, 2014

Portraiture Article Notes


  • high school seniors are looking for photos that show who they are and have depth
  • It's okay to be creative with your shots and when editing your shots
  • Photographers who go out of their way to discover their subjects' interests are the most successful at putting them at ease, and getting the most evocative images. 
  • Create a fun experience 
  • Incorporate elements that make the images very personal
  • Make them look GOOD and DIFFERENT
  • Listen to your subjects' ideals
  • Trends in the media contribute to what kids want, so photographers must stay current with what's going on
  • Parents still want traditional shots, so take some of those
  • Teens like to be shot on location
  • Keep it natural, but interesing

This article shows that nowadays, high school students want pictures of them that correspond with who they are and the society that they are involved in. They want pictures that look more like the professional shots you see in popular culture, and I definitely kept that in mind when I took my shots for this assignment. I like the more creative approach that the article explains because it makes the pictures taken so much more interesting than traditional senior portraits. 

The very first picture in the article, with the hair covering the girl's face struck me right away when I opened the article. It had emotion and a sense of serenity and realness in it that I think, as a student, I would want in my own portraits, and it is the type of picture that I would want to take rather than traditional studio portraits. 

Also, the third photo, and a few other photos, look like something out of a fashion magazine, and I wouldn't have thought to do that for senior portraits, but that is what some people want, and I really love that concept, and might think of editing some of my pictures in that way for this assignment. The girl looks kind of out of place against the ambiguous background, and It contrasts very nicely, making her stand out, and it's interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment