Tuesday, September 30, 2014

HDR final shots


ISO: 100
f/22
SS: 1/5

I picked my porch because it's somewhere that I go and sit a lot, and I have some very good memories on that porch swing. Also, it happened to have great repeating lines.



ISO: 100
f/22
SS: 1/6

I really like how this looked compositionally, and how I edited it. This is the garden that my mom has next to our house, and I helped plant it and we eat vegetables from it every year.

ISO: 100
f/22
SS: 2.0

This is a path in the woods behind my house where berries will grow every summer, and we pick them and eat them. I picked it because it's a place I know really well, and was a big part of my childhood growing up.

ISO: 100
f/22
SS: 3.0

This is an old fort in the woods that I helped build and paint when I was a kid, and I spent a lot of time there with my friends having advntures.

ISO: 100
f/22
SS: 2.0

This is a picture of my room and bed which is where I spend most of my time now. It's very messy and cluttered which really does describe me, and the decorations on and around the window are all things that I have an attachment to. I am very possessive of my bed, so I thought it had to be included.

ISO: 100
f/22
SS: 0.4

This is the view from my back patio, and I picked it because it overlooks a whole little valley, and I will come out here and just sit some nights and look at it because it's so beautiful. Here as well I have a lot of memories with friends and family that I definitely won't forget.



What are your thoughts on HDR & the visuals they produce.

At first, I really didn't like them because I thought that they looked to artificial, and honestly just kind of ugly, but as I looked at more and more of them that began to change. It still isn't my favorite type of photography, but I definitely have more of an appreciation for it now. I like that it allows you to see details in the highlights and shadows of a picture, and I think I will definitely use it in the future, especially for landscapes.

Do your images tell a story or are they just a collection of images? How has your relationship to making images changed in thinking about what you photograph? How did light affect/change your photograph?

My images do not tell a story, they are just a collection of images, of places that I know well and connect with. I didn't know about HDR before this assignment, so I didn't know that there was a better way, other than photoshop, to capture details in highlights, lowlights, and mid-tones all in the same picture, and that is something that I will definitely think about when making an image now, and I will think about composing my photographs to complement that information. I found that shooting in the evening with a warmer, softer light created a better photography for HDR, but other than that, the process really allows you to shoot in most kinds of light. Softer light just looks better in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Which picture goes with...
    Symmetrical balance
    -field with flowers and mountains
    Repetition / pattern
    -porch
    Different point of view / perspective
    -landscape
    Asymmetrical balance
    -room
    Framing
    -tree
    Lines
    -leaves

    Which photo has the best composition? Why? I think the picture of the field and mountains has the best composition because it has foreground, middleground and background. It also has details throughout the whole picture.

    Which photo would you hang on your wall? Why? I would hang the landscape picture up because it has a variety of colors and a lot of detail.

    Which photo could use a little work? What needs done? (composition/lighting/cropping/camera angle/camera technique) I think the picture of the tree for framing could be more interesting if it had something more framing the set in the background.


    When looking at the entire set of images, what do they say about the photographer? Can you determine anything about the person by looking at their photos? Do they tell a story or are they just a collection of images? By looking at all of the pictures, I can tell the photographer lives on a farm and at the base of the mountain and they tell that story.

    ReplyDelete